ACUMEN is Austin College’s student-run interdisciplinary journal of research. Acumen publishes yearly editions featuring original scholarly work written by Austin College students with the help of faculty research advisors. Many pieces of scholarly work are eligible for submission, including (but not limited to) literature reviews, research essays, policy analyses, or experimental work.
Submissions from any discipline can be submitted to Acumen at any time of the year. Currently, submissions are reviewed annually in March by student editors, and decisions are released in April. Accepted papers are included in our annual edition, a printed book, which is given out free-of-cost to the student body, faculty, staff, and archived in Abell Library.
How to Submit
To submit your work, send your research paper (with bibliography) to the editor as .doc or .rtf to firstname.lastname@example.org. Further, if you have any questions about the publication process, or whether your piece fits our requirements, please contact us and we will be happy to assist you.
- Submissions should be approximately 7-20 pages in length.
- Submissions should include a consistent bibliography that follows the citation requirements of their field.
- Submissions may be the products of individual or class research, directed or independent studies. Please do not submit work that is up for publication elsewhere, such as honors theses.
- Students should consider their audience to be generally educated and well read. However, the emphasis on interdisciplinary exchange of ideas requires that technical terminology from any field be generally explained for this audience.
- Submissions may be selected for publication on a conditional basis, provided the student makes the necessary revisions.
- All papers must follow college guidelines for academic integrity.
For more information, or if you are interested in participating in Acumen as a member of the review board, please email the editor at email@example.com.